Friday, October 28, 2011

Review - Destined

DESTINED by ALLISON KRAFT
Destined
Learn more about Destined at allisonkraft.com
This book was provided for free by the author for review.

SUMMARY:
While flying across the Atlantic on the centennial anniversary of the Titanic's tragic maiden voyage, Apolline Greer, last in a long line of vampire hunters, finds herself suddenly transported from her airliner cabin to an eerily familiar ocean liner cabin—as well as the entirely unfamiliar body of her ancestor, Noelle Greer. Upon learning that she is, in fact, on board the very ship she’s been fascinated with all her life, she knows there's only one thing to do: get off as soon as possible.

But whether by destiny, freak coincidence or a really vivid dream, Apolline finds that her trip back in time comes with three very good reasons to stay on board: Alexander Walker, a handsome and charming fellow vampire hunter; Cristof, the vampire that has tormented her family for generations and very likely killed her own mother; and Sasha, the vampire Noelle was sent to kill.

Time, however, is not on Apolline's side. The Titanic is on a collision course with destiny, and she only has four days to complete her quest. What seemed like more than enough time at the start quickly becomes too short as she finds that hunting vampires on a luxury ocean liner is much more difficult than she expected. Sasha and Cristof become more elusive as each day passes, while her feelings for Alexander become increasingly complicated. As that fateful night approaches, will she regret her decision to stay and witness history first-hand?

REVIEW:
I wasn't sure what to expect when I first accepted Kraft's review request.  All I knew was that it had vampires, the Titanic, and time travel.  Three things that, individually, are amazing, hold my interest, and make for good reads.  I accepted the request immediately.

This book surpassed every  expectation I had for it.  I love it so much.  The emotion the story draws out of you is insane.  I became teary-eyed on numerous occasions.  Often times when we think of the Titanic, we forget that these were real living and breathing people that died horrifically.  Destined really does it justice and makes your heart ache.  Allison Kraft is an amazingly talented writer.

I told a lot of people at work about this book and usually when I explained it to them, I got goosebumps.  It's that good.  I usually referred to as "reading the movie".  You know how you get choked up and cry during the James Cameron film?  Yeah, you're reading it.

Now I want to go watch the movie and cry.  

MEMORABLE QUOTES:


RATING:
5 MOONS.
ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!



7 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this sounds great. Anything with the Titanic has me immediately curious! Great review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Darcus, thank you so much for that amazing review. You've made my week, that's for sure! :D

    I'm thrilled that you liked Destined so much. Thanks again for everything!

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Darcus, thank you so much for that amazing review! You have made my week! :)

    I'm really glad you enjoyed Destined so much. Thank you for everything!

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Giselle: It really is amazing. You definitely need to check it out. You won't be disappointed.

    Allison: No, thank you! For giving me a chance to read an amazing book! I really didn't want to put it down and the ending...ah! I love everything Titanic and I forgot to mention in my review that used to have an obsession. I could tell you numbers and dates and names. When I was in grade school, I constantly checked out books on the subject, had every word memorized from the James Cameron film, and could sing every lyric on the soundtrack. I would watch the movie over and over (and new just when I should close my eyes!)

    Your book did that for me and reminded me why I was so into it when I was younger. So thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're very welcome! And I can relate: I've been obsessed since middle school as well, though I'd rather not admit how much longer ago that was for me! ;) Even before getting the idea for Destined and starting the research, I was a pretty big Titanic nerd (stats, names, the works, just like you said). I think that's what made it so fun to write. I love hearing from other fans that enjoyed the book, so I'm thrilled you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I was reading the book, I assumed you were a Titanic buff. There was no way, with a book written like that, that you weren't one. I've been dying to watch the movie since I started reading it. Unfortunately, I no longer have the movie and it's killing me. =P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard of this book before, but it sounds amazing! I've always been fascinated with the Titanic too. Added it to my GoodReads to-read list - thanks Darcus!

    ReplyDelete