Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Review - Darkly Dreaming Dexter

DARKLY DREAMING DEXTER by JEFF LINDSAY
Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter, #1)
Learn more about Darkly Dreaming Dexter at dexter-books.com
This book was bought with my own money.

SUMMARY:
Dexter Morgan appears to be the perfect gentleman. He leads a normal, quiet life working as a forensic officer for the Miami Police. He has a nice, shy girlfriend and is liked by her young children. But Dexter has a secret hobby. He's an accomplished serial killer. So far he's killed dozens of people and has never been caught, because he knows exactly how to dispose of the evidence. And there are those who would rather he wasn't caught at all, because Dexter is a serial killer with a difference. He only kills the city's bad guys. Then Dexter's well-organised life is thrown into chaos. Another serial killer is invading his territory - and he wants Dexter to come out and play...

REVIEW:
It was a long venture to get through this book, because I have a policy where I don't watch anything before I read the book(s) of basis. I accidentally watched the first season of Dexter before I found out about the book series. So, like a good girl, I refrained from watching the second season and began Dexter. In January. See, there is a reason I have this rule: my love of suspense rivals my love of reading. Another love of mine is being in the know, for when I watch the movies/tv series/whatever based on said book. And although Dexter season 1 and Darkly Dreaming Dexter were different, the gist was basically the same. So, since I knew the gist, it was hard to focus on this book and not read another one.
Boring note aside, this book was enjoyable, once I FINALLY sucked it up and read it. Dexter's character is interesting- he's hilarious, a blood spatter analyst, and a serial killer- which makes it fun to read things from his point of view. The mystery, which wasn't such a mystery to me (although a lot of elements were different) was a darn good one. The characters were developed well. I could see them all as real people. Which is why I hate Deb, Dexter's sister. The entire book she was such a grouch. Ugh.
I am definitely looking forward to reading the next books in the series. It's the Sookie Stackhouse series all over again.


MEMORABLE QUOTES:


RATING:
4 MOONS.
REALLY GOOD!


0 comments:

Post a Comment