Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Interview - Michael D. Young


Michael D. Young is the author of The Canticle Kingdom, Portrait of a Mother, and his latest novel The Last Archangel. Read our review of The Last Archangel here.
To find out more about this author and his novels, visit his website at writermike.com
HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH THE IDEA FOR THE LAST ARCHANGEL?Some of my books are lightning flash/light bulb moments.  This one came to me slowly over time. I can’t really pinpoint the moment it happened, but I’ve always been interested in angel lore, especially after having lived in Europe and been exposed to various traditions about angels.


WHO WOULD YOU CONSIDER YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER IN THIS NOVEL?
I’ve got say, I love Xandir.  He’s powerful, quick-witted, but also complex, with many faceted to him.  Oh, and he carries two swords.  Twice as cool.  
Judy is a close second.  I 
like her combination of spunk and know-how. Anyone who could take out a cobra with an umbrella is great in my eyes.


DESCRIBE THE LAST ARCHANGEL IN THREE (3) WORDS.
Exhilarating, layered, imaginative.


HOW DO YOU GO ABOUT NAMING YOUR CHARACTERS?
I drew on a lot of names from Christian tradition.  All of the angels except for the fallen ones, end in “el” as is it in the Bible. (Think Gabriel or Michael).  The name Eden brings to mind a woman with a pivotal role, and the angel Absalom even had a mane of hair just like his biblical counterpart.  The villains Cain, Jubal and Tubal are all mentioned in the Bible.  It is even mentioned that Jubal was a musician. 


TELL US A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOUR PREVIOUS NOVELS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE YET TO READ THEM.
For now, I only have one that has been published called “The Canticle Kingdom”.  It is the story of a kingdom inside of a music box, where the inhabitants are not yet aware that they are in a box.  The music from the box plays sometimes and some of those who hear it are drawn in and made part of the world inside the box.  I also have many other novels I’m working on and should be appearing in the coming months and years.


WHAT PART OF WRITING A NOVEL DO YOU FIND THE HARDEST?
Revision.  It is so hard to know how much is enough.  You could revise endlessly, but I think there comes a point when you said “It’s time to let this one out of the bag.”


DID YOU ALWAYS WANT TO BE AN AUTHOR?
It was about high school that I figured out that I really wanted to write.  I’ve always been a storyteller, but it was only as I got a little older that I saw the real practical applications of my talent and got the drive to make it happen.


HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THE LAST ARCHANGEL TO NEW READERS?
It is an action/adventure story about a fallen angel who must make the final choice between good and evil and about the lives of some of those who figure into the earth’s final chapter.


IF THE LAST ARCHANGEL WAS MADE INTO A MOVIE, WHO WOULD YOU CHOOSE TO PLAY XANDIR AND EDEN?
Wow, that’s a hard one.  I hope that’s a choice I’d get to actually try to help with someday.  I think Gerard Butler for Xandir and maybe Amy Adams for Eden.  I’ll have my fingers crossed.


DID YOU PLAY ANY PART IN THE DESIGN OF THE COVER?  IF SO, TELL US MORE ABOUT THAT AND WHAT THE IMAGERY AND SYMBOLS ON THE COVER MEAN.
They gave me an initial mockup of the cover and asked for opinion.  I gave them some input and the final cover was the result.  (I suggested having Xandir’s swords featured on the cover).  On the bottom, you see ruins, reminiscent of what Xandir does and especially the scene with Pompeii at the beginning.  All around him, you see Xandir surrounded by symbols of time, which is appropriate because he is a prisoner until “The End of the World”.  The swords are Xandir’s dark and light swords, crossed in an X for “Xandir”.  Xandir himself is looking down and shrouded in darkness to denote that he is a fallen angel.  And from above you see a sinister face representing the demons and other evil beings who have a hold on him.   

All in all, I really love the cover!


IS THIS STORY FINISHED OR IS THERE A POSSIBILITY OF A SEQUEL SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE?
I have two more books mapped out that tell a little more of Xandir as a mortal and how the events with the demons and with Cain unfold.  I’m very excited to see how it turns out.


ARE THERE ANY LAST WORDS YOU WOULD LIKE TO LEAVE WITH OUR READERS?
I know there are a lot of angel stories out there now.  I started writing this one years ago before angels were sort of a trend.  I think that it takes a different approach then many angels books out there and I hope that you’ll give it a shot and that you’ll enjoy it as much as enjoyed writing it.
We would like to thank Michael D. Young for all of his help and cooperation.  He is an amazing writer and a great person!  We can't wait to work with him more in the future!






0 comments:

Post a Comment